Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Interview

Today was my interview with the ice cream shop. The name is 31 Ice Cream, which is the Japanese branch of Baskin Robbins, I think.

Right after class I made my way to the interview location. I ended up taking the wrong train line. I was told to take the Hanshin Line, but when I went to research the train schedule, it was giving me a funky looking route for the train I was supposed to take, and it looked longer, so I took Hankyuu. They both go to the same place, but the stations are in different locations and the Hankyuu Station is a lot farther than the Hanshin Station from where I needed to be.

I asked for help at the train station, and they were very nice. They quickly printed a map for me and helped with no hesitation. I called the store and told them that I might be a bit late because I took the wrong line. Afterward, one of the train staff led me to a taxi. After 10 min. I was there. If I didn't take a taxi it probably would've have been impossible to reach on time.

I was probably 10 min. earlier, but since the store has big windows and they were expecting me, I was greeted with a smile from a few of the employees and the manager, and I gladly returned it. We had the interview outside. I didn't know what to expect, but I was preparing long spiels last night on what to say and manners and stuff. The interview lasted about 5 minutes!!

The manager first asked for my resume, then asked if I could work summer and winter since those are the busiest times, and then asked where I was from. She also told me when training would start and stuff. I didn't really have any questions because it seemed pretty straight forward. The only thing I wished I would have asked is the name of the person that was interviewing me, and if transportation fees were covered. In job ads, it is usually stated clearly if transportation is covered or not, but it's always good to ask!

After being thrown off by getting lost, I feel like I forgot a few things like business manners and stuff. It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere, but it's always good to use manners!!! I believe that no matter where I am. As my mother and father would say, "Manners will take you a long way.", and it's true. Hopefully even though I forgot a few things, I left a good impression. After I have so many interviews and more experiences, things will definitely flow a lot smoother since I'll know what to do. Putting things into action is the best way to learn.
It seems like a cool place to work, improve my skills, get more indoctrinated into the Japanese society, and meet a lot of different people.

Afterward, I couldn't resist, I had 3 scoops of ice cream. If I am going to work there, I need to know the product :p I'll hear the result tomorrow if I get it!!! Wish me luck! If not it's back to the grind!

1 comment:

  1. This showed so much of you strength and your charming personality.But um ya wah gwan fi my scope a ice-cream? lol
    *Nam* :0)

    ReplyDelete