Thursday, July 1, 2010

1 year Anniversary ...lol

Today marks the official day, when I started loading myself up with Japanese arsenal and firing away. I remember it like it was yesterday. Probably weeks ago, a year ago I was still trying to figure out how I could get started studying Japanese. There are many methods to the madness, but I really wanted something that I could stick with and create a nice momentum. The only thing that seemed reasonable is AJAAT, which I happened to stumble upon one day at work after Spanish class. I went to my room, read the whole website and then it all made sense. I had been doing a bit of it with Spanish, but not to the same degree.

AJAAT basically just tells you to keep a Japanese environment. Do everything in Japanese. You can do it with any language you want to learn, and it doesn't have to be a forced thing. You just make it your lifestyle.

I literally disregarded any deterrent that told me, "NO!", whether it was a person, a negative thought(Because a positivity wi seh!:p), or whatever, and changed my lifestyle. All of my dear Spanish stuff, all of my reggae/dancehall, reggaeton, salsa, bachata, my english and spanish poetry as well, I neatly filed away, and I did everything I could in Japanese from that point.

People looked at me like I was crazy. Even people that smiled and said I could do it, I know they were thinking I was crazy. I had been talking about moving to Japan for about a year at this point, but I don't think it was really clicking that I was serious.

My last 6 months of university I devoted to Japanese. I did my IT work in Japanese as much as possible while listening/watching Japanese. I made sure that was the beginning, middle, and end of my day. My coworkers probably thought I was crazy too. (If you all are reading, I miss you, sorry I haven't shot you a mail or anything) When I first started working there, I was always quiet. As it went on you could always here reggae or reggaeton coming from my office. After I started my new lifestyle my office was full of Japanese lyrics on the wall, and me trying to sing :p

Step by step, word by word, slowly but surely I will get to wherever I'm supposed to be . Every moment is fun!!

1 comment:

  1. I sooooo Remember this period....Good memories... Thank God you didn't make me watch a movie in Japanese (although i think there may have been Japanese subtitles...... :-}

    -Subomi

    ReplyDelete