Monday, April 19, 2010

Patty cake, Patty Cake, Baker's Man

Before coming to Japan, food staples like bread and rice were always a part of my daily diet. Since coming to Japan, I have noticed that there are a lot of bakeries here. In the center of Kobe, there must be a bakery on every corner. Fresh bread! Every morning, on my way to school I must resist the temptation of the smell of fresh bread. I often look through the window and glare at all of the bread, like a hungry dog whose owner's are feasting on a delicious meal. Every now and again I have to fulfill that urge. Today after jogging I stopped by a bakery, because actually, food is all that's on my mind lately..lol
Bread is very nostalgic for me.
  • The bakeries here remind me of when we used to get fresh harddough bread from the bakery, and before reaching home, I would have already had my way with the steamy, soft bread between the thick harddough crust. Also, before I even thought of going near a stove to cook, this was the food of choice when hungry :)
  • Bakeries also remind me of when I spent a lot of time in Germany. Every morning, my sister would have a hot pretzel waiting for me, or I would go to bakery and pick it up myself, using my great German skills :p.
Here is a picture I quickly snapped on my way to school.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the harddough bread. So great!! Yum LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! looks delicious!
    -Dani B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. learnt something more about you that you spent some time in Germany.

    Bread is the late night snack of choice for me ^_^

    ReplyDelete