Sunday, April 11, 2010

日本語を喋る?My Japanese Studies

Tomorrow is the first day of class at the Kobe Toyo. Before coming to Japan, I studied Japanese for about 7 months. I had been planning to come to Japan about 2 years ago, but I did not start learning until 7 months ago. Before that, I use to watch a lot of Asian movies, a lot of them just happened to be in Japanese. 7 months ago, I found out about AJATT. A lot of the things he mentions about language learning, I had been doing before without even realizing it, just with other aspects of my life. I literally used to eat, sleep, and drink Reggae/Dancehall, I still do now just in Japanese :). I also, while learning Spanish used to learn songs, and watch movies, just not in enough dosage to become fluent.Now, after 8 months of "being" Japanese, I can have basic conversation, understand basic situations, and get through some books and stuff and actually have got something from it. I still have a long way to go, but I just always make sure that I'm in contact with Japanese whether I'm actively learning something new, or I'm just having fun.
Being in Japan, I make it a point to talk to someone Japanese, even if it's just asking for directions, or asking where something is in a store. (Trust me, there are people here that have been here for a long time, and they don't know much Japanese, I don't know how they get by, but I guess they do.)
Since majority of the students at the language school are Chinese, our main language of communication is Japanese. I think that is pretty cool. Even while staying with my friend, I would go whole days without speaking a word of English, if I did speak it, it was probably to myself. lol
Seeing your progress is fun, and it's also good motivation to keep going! The more I realize I understand more than yesterday, the more I want to learn, the more I want to read, the more I want to write, the more I want to speak, the more I devour Japanese! 頑張ります!!

No comments:

Post a Comment