Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yes Smile, Yes Yurt!!


Yurt is the name of the restaurant that I started working at. I didn't know but "yurt" actually has a meaning...lol It is actually a tent-like home that nomads live in or something like that.Yurt is definitely a stylish restaurant/cafe with like a European/American twist to it. You can get anything from curry to bbq to different kinds of deli salads. It's delicious!! Also drinks are all 500 yen, alcohol included!The restaurant opened up last Friday, and it looks like it's been doing well from then. I stopped in for lunch yesterday, just to better study some of the food :D, and the place was jam packed!It's located right behind my school. The area where it's located is perfect because it's in the shopping district as well where a lot of people work. So people go there between/after work and to take a break from shopping.

I'm working in the hall of the restaurant. So that means, greeting people, taking orders, serving food and drinks, and rotating washing dishes and stuff.

Probably the best aspects of this experience is being able to deal with people, and getting to work in a Japanese environment.Everyday I get to meet different people. I usually get the opportunity just to chat with them as well as my co-workers. Before, since all my friends live mainly in Osaka, especially when I first got here, I would just walk around just to see who I could meet...lol I would chat to people at the supermarket, or just sit at the park and chat to whoever I happened to stumble upon. I still just chat with random people when I feel like it, because it's fun...lol

Also this job, gives me the opportunity of dealing with Japanese people in their regular everyday activities. Going to a language school, I would say that it's hard to meet Japanese people besides the teachers, and language partners that are affiliated with the school. Unless you're willing to jump outside of your comfort zone and just chat with people outside of school, go out on the town a bit, or you already know people living in Japan, it can be hard to meet people. Some people will come up and talk to you, but maybe because you look different, or because they want an English speaking buddy or w/e. But they might be weird....lol j/k (no I'm not) lol

Everyone at my job is about in the 20-30 age range including the bosses so that's pretty cool. I'm the only foreigner so that's cool as well. So yes, everything is in Japanese, and not much is broken down for me only, so I have to be on my P's and Q's all the time.

Also, there are a lot of cultural things that are not in books, or that you don't learn at school that you definitely learn on the job. For example, different salutations , things that are acceptable to say and do. I think language school is pretty lenient when in comes to stuff like this, just taking in account that people come from different places and they want to accommodate the students to some extent.

I love this job, even when I make mistakes! I'm glad that they give me this opportunity. Everyday I'm learning and growing and hopefully everyone can learn from this experience.

If you happen to come to Kobe or are in Kobe, check it out!! I usually work nights! :P
The windows can be folded back so you get a full tentish feel..lol It's pretty cool.

3 comments:

  1. How long are you going to put up a front before you let these people know you are the worst employee ever ;P

    Miss you so much!!!! LOVED hearing from you via postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so behind on your new life in Japan. On top of that, you found a job so CONGRATS! Hope you enjoy the experience.

    -Dani B

    ReplyDelete