Sunday, May 9, 2010

Library Trip!

Today, I made a trip to the library with my roommates. We all applied for library cards so we could check out books. As I am slowly being able to read again...lol everything is new and fresh and there is so much I want to read. This will be good because I can just check out books now, instead of buying them and not reading them or liking them. I checked out Kokoro by Natsume Soseki. I read it in English about 2 years ago. Now I'll check it out in Japanese!

Since the library is pretty far from where we live, we all rode bicycles. This was probably about my 3rd time riding a bike in Japan. Today reaffirmed why I probably won't be riding one often. Although they can cut down the time it takes to get somewhere, I prefer walking because these are the things I take into account:
  • Kobe is very hilly. Going down hills is fun, but going up is a pain.
  • Pedestrians and bikers usually share the same path, which doesn't allow for a smooth ride. I probably stopped about 20 times to allow people to pass. I'm usually the one glaring at bikers who are trying to ride there bike through a big crowd. Today it was me :)
  • You use up a lot more energy biking. The way I've been walking, my appetite has definitely increased, not to mention that everywhere I go there's is food :) But I can't imagine what it will be like after biking to and from school everyday. I know eventually I'd adjust, but just another excuse :)
Biking is cool, but I'll stick to my feet. I like being able take my time, taking in everything around me. Maybe if I get a job that is far away, I will consider it. Until then, you can see me walking up and down the streets of Kobe.

Here is the video the day: Chage & Aska - Walk
Yamaguchi Sensei, my old Japanese teacher sang this at karaoke!


Here is a bit of the making of the song. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd enjoy biking around the city, prolly not everywhere everytime but for trips to the store and such

    ReplyDelete